POSITION TITLE: Manager, Marketing and Communications
POSITION STATUS: Permanent, Full-time, Non-unionized
LOCATION: Brampton or SSM Campus
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Director of Communications
SUPERVISION: Principal Communications Officer
Digital Communications Specialist
Marketing & Communications Officer
Communication & Marketing Assistant
MAIN DUTIES :
Supervision, Marketing & Communication 40%
Strategy Execution 40%
Under the direction of the Director of Communications, the Manager, Marketing and Communications, will demonstrate leadership in advancing strategic marketing and communications objectives based on established institutional priorities. The Manager directly supervises support staff within the Marketing and Communications team to develop and execute identified marketing and outreach strategies to support continued enrollment growth, increase brand and special mission awareness. institution, and the continued development of positive relationships with internal (students, faculty, staff, and board) and external (all levels of government, post-secondary partners, employers, donors, and general public) relationships.
Supervision, Marketing & Communication
Oversees and monitors the day-to-day work of the Marketing and Communications team in the development and execution of strategic internal and external marketing and communications activities by:
– Establish effective communication structures, processes and workflows necessary to ensure effective and consistent internal and external communications that align with key institutional messages and strategic priorities.
– Work closely with the Director of Communications, VP of Growth and External Relations, Office of Advancement, Office of Strategic Enrollment and others to ensure active participation in key initiatives and community committees that advance Algoma’s corporate profile.
– Ensure that relevant actions and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) associated with strategic enrollment management, advancement and marketing and communications are achieved through the effective implementation of marketing strategies and communication aligned with established objectives, including the development of marketing materials to support recruitment campaigns.
– Ensure that Algoma University has marketing strategies and mechanisms in place to meet internal and external needs in a manner consistent with the University’s mission, vision and values.
– Oversee the development, updating and analysis of website content, creation of video content, management of social media across multiple platforms and development of marketing materials.
– Oversee the publication of bi-weekly digital newsletters for employees and students.
– Oversee marketing related elements of media and fundraising announcements, deal signings, conferences and other special events.
– Develop targeted memos and email messages relevant to the role.
– Hiring, training and supervision of student assistants who participate in the activities of the marketing and communications department
Provides leadership in the development and execution of marketing and communications strategies to support the Office of the Rector, student recruitment, advancement, and other institutional priority areas:
– In consultation with the Strategic Enrollment Managers and Director of Communications, develops short- and long-term marketing and communications plans, which support recruitment efforts through the various stages of the enrollment management funnel ( prospect, candidate, current student, graduate)
– Collaborated with the Alumni and Strategic Initiatives Manager on marketing and communications related requirements for the effective development and publication of the bi-annual Algoma U Today magazine (print and digital)
– Support the creation of the President’s Council publication and annual reports, providing regular reports to support institutional priorities, projects and initiatives.
– Provides expertise and guidance to various related committees/teams such as Strategic Enrollment Management Task Force, Recruitment Team, Communications Team, etc.
– Assists the Director of Strategic Enrollment (Global) and individual schools of the University in the development of detailed and coordinated short-term (one year) marketing plans, based on established objectives and budgets.
– Assist in the effective implementation of strategies/action items outlined in associated marketing plans.
– Perform annual audit of marketing activities and competitor analysis for digital and print media. Use the results to support the continuous improvement of all marketing tools.
– Acts as the Marketing and Communications Manager to work alongside National and International Recruitment Managers to ensure the successful and efficient planning, coordination and implementation of various recruitment events – Ontario Universities – Fairs , open houses, orientation events, etc.
– Monitoring and management of the marketing budget specific to the general university promotion which complements the recruitment campaigns developed by the strategic enrollment team.
Office administration monitoring
– Ensure the appropriate collection, analysis and reporting of data necessary for the development of marketing strategies and analyses, strategic planning and decision-making in support of broader institutional objectives
– Monitor and process marketing and communications staff expenses
– Track leave / overtime / sickness (VOS) of staff
– Research and stay up to date on industry and market trends as they relate to marketing, communications and other related activities
– Participate in university committees, special projects or represent Algoma at external events as needed
– Ensure the highest level of pro-activity and service for the Marketing and Communications departments, the Office of the – President, Advancement and other priority areas
– Advice on draft policies and procedures
– All other assigned tasks
Physical effort required
Minimal: some lifting/physical effort required to transport materials and set up for school visits
Minimal: minimal exposure to disagreeable/unpleasant conditions. Irregular and sometimes extended working hours, due to meeting schedules and special functions. Frequent travel between campuses.
Considerable: The work frequently requires focusing on a variety of sensory inputs for an extended period requiring diligence and attention. Considerable multitasking, extreme attention to detail required.
Considerable: High-paced, deadline-driven environment with frequent distractions and interruptions.
– Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or related discipline and 3-5 years of marketing experience in progressively senior management/supervisory positions.
– A history of meeting or exceeding performance objectives
– Excellent knowledge of technologies, tools and software required to support marketing activities, including working knowledge of graphic design (InDesign, Adobe Suite, Canva, Publicate), social media management.
– Mastery of IT applications/platforms, G-Suite
– Excellent knowledge of budgeting, office management and administrative functions
– Experience in an intercultural working and learning environment, an asset
– Excellent time management, organizational and problem solving skills required
– Excellent editing, content creation, verbal and written communication skills
– Excellent data analysis, financial management and budgeting skills
– Knowledge of University policies and procedures and understanding of the organizational structure of the University, its governance as well as the post-secondary sector in general, an asset
– Demonstrated ability to influence others, create alignment, generate commitment to goals and inspire others to action
– Experience in leading complex and multi-party projects
– Experience working in a complex and unionized environment
– Ability to keep privileged and confidential information
– Ability to exercise judgment, tact and diplomacy
– Ability to manage multiple priorities to ensure deadlines are met
– Valid driver’s license
– Willingness and ability to travel as needed
– Commitment to understanding the special mission of Algoma University and the teachings of the Seven Grandfathers
– Vulnerable police sector check is required
Please submit a resume and cover letter (combined PDF) to [email protected] no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, August 19, 2022.
Algoma University is strongly committed to fostering diversity and inclusion within our community and is an equal opportunity employer. The university invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals who would contribute to the diversity of our institution, including equity-seeking groups that have traditionally been underrepresented in employment (Indigenous peoples, racialized people, women, people with disabilities and 2SLGBTQQIPA+ people).
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, upon request, accommodations will be provided by Algoma University throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process candidates with disabilities.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to provide a Vulnerable Sector Police Check as a condition of employment.
This position is open to all qualified applicants, although preference is given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.